Friday 16 April 2021

At long last, audio of Pádraig de Paor

Here we have a tiny clip of Pádraig de Paor. From speaking with people who are interested in or are studying Gaelic dialects with few or no living speakers, I understand that trying to learn said dialect is very difficult without a good bit of audio recording. Reading about its phonology is helpful but it would be impossible to properly know what a language or dialect sounded like without audio to supplement.

The clip itself lasts 29 seconds with only 14 of those being uninterrupted since a man and woman begin to talk about something to do with transcribing. I got the clip from this 'Gaeilg Chill Chainnigh' blog post. The link was dead but thankfully somebody in the comments posted a new link to it, so thank you Cathal!

Unfortunately, I don't know what radio programme this is from or if more of the complete audio is available online apart from this Twitter post from Seaghan Sionnach. I'd guess from the dated and almost British sounding prestige register of Hiberno English that the gentleman uses that this is from 20+ years ago but I wouldn't be sure. I have contacted the UCD archive and received news that I may receive all of the audio at some point in May. Unfortunately though, I may not be able to share it due to it not being my audio.

Here I'll be giving my attempt at a phonemic transcription along with the original Irish and English translation. I have used /r´/ instead of /ʒ/. My skill in this is not great so I would appreciate feedback.

I don't know how to insert audio into blogger so here's a video.


"Bhí feirm- ... bhí feirmeoir ann fadó, agus chua' fear bocht ag gearradh brosna aitinn ar chnoc. Tháinig an feirmeoir air agus d'fhiafraigh sé ..."

"There was a farmer long ago, and a poor man went cutting gorse wood on a hill. The farmer came and he asked ... "

/v´i: f´er´əm´ ... v´i: f´er´ə'm´u:r´ u:n [?] fado agəs xuə f´ar boxt ə g´arə brosnə at´əŋ´ er xruk .../

Here we can see a number of the features I described in my previous post. An interesting point is how vowels are generally raised in the presence of a nasal consonant such as in feirmeoir and ann. The fortis/lenis distinction was not made at this time in Kilkenny and no such phonemic distinction had been present for easily 100 years. As like the rest of Munster, the vowels here shifted or broke in order to stop the merging of words. This happened differently in different areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment